- Health Concerns
- Easy Healthy Recipes
- Dr. Ben Kim's Radio Show
You are here
Indole-3-Carbinol: A Powerful Compound That Can Prevent And Treat Cancer
Posted by Dr. Ben Kim on Oct 01, 2006
Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale and kohlrabi - this family of cruciferous vegetables is naturally rich in indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a compound that is quickly becoming recognized as one of the most powerful cancer-fighting compounds that we know of.
Numerous studies indicate that I3C may stop the growth of existing tumors and can offer protection against many different types of cancer. The most prominent of such studies are listed below:
1. A study out of Wayne State University indicates that taking I3C can cause early death of breast cancer cells.
2. Another study conducted at Wayne State University indicates that I3C can stop the growth of and even kill prostate cancer cells.
3. A study undertaken at the University of Pittsburgh indicates that I3C can effectively treat respiratory papillomatosis, a type of cancer that can occur in or around the vocal chords.
4. A study out of Louisiana State University indicates that I3C can effectively heal precancerous lesions of the cervix.
5. A study conducted at North Shore/Long Island Jewish Research Institute indicates that I3C can destroy ovarian cancer cells.
Clearly, eating cruciferous vegetables on a regular basis is an excellent strategy for preventing and treating cancer.
Preventing and treating cancer goes far beyond eating the right "super food" or taking a high quality supplement. Preventing and treating cancer requires being mindful of each food that we choose to eat, each thought that we choose to think, and each action that we choose to subject our bodies to on a moment-to-moment basis. With that being said, there's no denying that regular consumption of foods that are naturally rich in indole-3-carbinol can play a powerful role in helping all of us treat or prevent many types of cancer.
Please Rate This