- Health Concerns
- Easy Healthy Recipes
- Mobility Exercises
You are here
How to Make Chocolate Raspberry Cake
Posted by Dr. Ben Kim on Jan 30, 2017
1 and 1/2 cups unbleached wheat flour, the best quality you can find
1/2 cup of the healthiest sugar you have access to (coconut, date, unprocessed cane, etc.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Good pinch of sea salt
Handful of dark chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or specks from one vanilla bean pod
5 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1 cup frozen raspberries, thawed for about a half hour
Fresh berries for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large loaf pan or baking dish with your preferred ingredient - coconut oil, olive oil, vegan margarine, or butter all work well in preventing sticking once the cake is baked.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, natural sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or fork until the mixture is evenly combined.
3. In another large bowl, bring together the mashed bananas, almond milk, apple cider vinegar (acts as a natural rising agent), vanilla, and melted coconut oil.
4. Add well mixed wet ingredients to evenly combined dry ingredients and gently fold together with a spatula or wood spoon. Add the chocolate chunks or chocolate chips at this point with more gentle folding to evenly distribute. Be sure not to overwork the batter.
5. Transfer batter to greased loaf pan or baking dish, then top with partially thawed raspberries.
6. Bake at 375 F. for 45 minutes - when you can insert a chopstick or toothpick in the center and have it come out clean, it's ready. Best to let it sit on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before cutting and distributing.
7. Top with fresh berries if you wish and enjoy this delightful chocolate raspberry cake warm or at room temperature.
For a printer-friendly version of this recipe without photos, please click here:
Please Rate This