- Health Concerns
- Easy Healthy Recipes
- Dr. Ben Kim's Radio Show
You are here
Posted by Kristen
To keep your blood homocysteine level within a range that's optimal for cardiovascular health, try including leeks in your weekly menu with this restaurant-quality soup.
Leeks also contain antioxidants that enhance blood flow throughout your body, likely through enhanced production of nitric oxide, a natural compound that relaxes blood vessels.
This recipe was inspired by a similar one from the kitchen at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, California.- Ben Kim
Makes about 4 servings
5 medium leeks
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 rib celery
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 small bay leaf
Sprig or two of thyme
1 small branch of rosemary
Few sprigs of cilantro or parsley
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. To prepare leeks, chop off their roots and any coarse, outer green leaves (peel off one outside layer).
2. Use a sharp knife to quarter the stalks and chop them into 1/4-inch pieces.
3. Wash and soak diced leeks in cold water - let the leeks soak for a good few minutes to allow any dirt that is inside to come out and settle to the bottom of your washing basin.
4. Transfer washed leeks to a strainer and let them drain.
5. Cook leeks over medium heat in about 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil (use your soup pot for this). Don't let the leeks lose their vibrant green color - just cook them to a point where they are still mildly crispy/crunchy.
6. Add sea salt, to taste.
7. Add vegetable or chicken broth.
8. Tie celery, bay leaf, thyme, and rosemary with a string to create a "bouquet garni" and add this to the mix.
9. Bring everything to a low simmer, then add thinly sliced garlic clove and let simmer for another 20 minutes.
10. Add more sea salt, if necessary, to taste.
Serve this savory leek soup with chopped cilantro or parsley as a garnish, and if you don't mind a little flour in your life, enjoy this soup with a slice or two of fresh bread.
As is the case with most soups, leek soup tastes even better with a few slices of creamy avocado on the side.
Please Rate This