- Health Concerns
- Easy Healthy Recipes
- Mobility Exercises
You are here
Strengthen Your Immune System With Oyster and Crimini Mushroom Soup
Posted by Dr. Ben Kim on Dec 07, 2015
If you're a believer in making every mouthful of food count in nourishing your cells from the inside-out, this oyster and crimini mushroom soup should be right in your wheelhouse.
Oyster and crimini mushrooms are abundant in vitamins B-1, B-2, niacin, and folate, plus a number of minerals including calcium, iron, potassium, and zinc. Combine these nutrients with the wide range of minerals and fatty acids in homemade broth, and you have the perfect meal for nourishing your digestive tract, immune system, and skeletal system.
Oyster mushrooms are unique for their high ergothioneine content. Ergothioneine is an amino acid that acts as a powerful antioxidant that can improve immune system strength and protect cells from damage by free radicals. Three ounces of oyster mushrooms provide about 13 milligrams of ergothioneine, and potency is not diminished with cooking.
Without further ado, let's have a look at how to make a batch of this deeply nourishing mushroom soup:
Extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium to large yellow onions, finely chopped
200 grams of crimini or white button mushrooms, roughly chopped
200 grams of fresh oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
200 grams of fresh king oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
8 cups of your favourite broth
1. Heat about 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot. Add finely chopped onions and sauté until slightly golden, about 5 minutes.
2. Add all mushrooms and thyme; sauté until mushrooms begin to brown, about 7-9 minutes.
3. Add homemade broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. If you enjoy creamy soups, use a handheld blender to blend until desired consistency is reached. If you don't have a handheld blender, transfer a portion of your soup with mushrooms into a blender, blend, and return to the pot.
5. Season with sea salt, ladle into bowls, garnish with your favourite green herbs, and enjoy this immune-strengthening mushroom soup.
For a printer-friendly version of this recipe without photos, please go here:
Please Rate This