- Natural Health Shop
- Mobility Exercises
- Health Concerns
- Easy Healthy Recipes
You are here
Green Pea and Chickpea Soup Recipe
Posted by Dr. Ben Kim on Dec 28, 2008
To promote your best health, including strong bones and teeth, it's vital that you eat plenty of green plant foods on a regular basis. And ounce for ounce, few green plant foods are more nutrient-rich than green peas.
Experience the many health benefits of eating green peas with the following recipe for Green Pea and Chickpea Soup - it's exceptionally healthy and calls for highly affordable ingredients.
Makes about 4 large or 6 small servings
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen or fresh shelled green peas
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Sea salt and pepper
2.5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Handful chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (optional for garnish)
Extra-virgin olive oil
1. In a large soup pot, cook onion, garlic, and celery with a couple of tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil over low to medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Stir occasionally.
2. Add chickpeas, peas, and broth, and bring to a boil over medium to medium-high heat.
3. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until chickpeas and peas are tender.
4. Use a hand-held blender to partially blend ingredients in the pot. If you prefer smooth soups, blend everything until well homogenized. If you like texture to your soups, just blend for about 5-10 seconds, which should allow some of the peas and chickpeas to remain intact.
If you don't have a hand-held blender, blend small portions in a regular blender or food processor; then transfer back to the pot.
5. Season with sea salt and pepper.
6. If you have fresh chopped parsley or cilantro on hand, sprinkle a tablespoon over each bowl before serving.
Enjoy this nourishing, protein-rich soup on its own, with a heel of your favorite crusty bread, or your favorite grain dish.
To view a pictorial of this recipe, click here:
Please Rate This