- Health Concerns
- Easy Healthy Recipes
- Mobility Exercises
You are here
Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup Recipe
Posted by Dr. Ben Kim on Oct 30, 2008
It's extra good when the weather gets a bit nippy. :)
Makes about 8 cups
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup red lentils
1 cup tomatoes, diced (fresh or canned, include juice)
1 large onion, finely diced
3 medium size carrots, finely diced
1 celery rib, finely diced
1 cup zucchini, finely diced
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
4 green onions, sliced
Fresh lime juice (1 lime)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
1. Cook onion in extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat in a big soup pot - stir occasionally.
2. After cooking onion for about 2-3 minutes, add carrots, celery, and zucchini. Add 1.5 teaspoons sea salt, turmeric, and cumin - cook for another 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Add lentils, tomatoes (plus tomato juices, if any), and 5.5 cups water. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and allow everything to simmer with the lid partially on - about 20 to 25 minutes, or until lentils have softened.
4. Add lime juice, stir. Add sea salt and pepper, to taste - you may not need to add any more salt, so be sure to taste first.
5. Just before serving, add sliced green onions to hot lentil soup - about a tablespoon of green onions per bowl.
This red lentil and vegetable soup is delicious on its own, or with some whole grain bread or a bowl of rice. Enjoy.
Please Rate This